How to Care for your Jewelry
With proper care, you can ensure that your handmade heirloom-quality jewelry will withstand the test of time.
Here are some tips to help extend the life of your pieces:
- Metals like brass, bronze, sterling silver, lower purities of gold and gold-fill will naturally tarnish over time and develop a darker patina. Regular wear will reduce the amount of tarnish that develops, as will proper storage.
- Avoid contact with water. Remove your piece before showering, hand washing, doing dishes, swimming, etc. Store your pieces in a dry place (ie. not the bathroom).
- Remove jewelry before applying lotions, perfumes, oils, or other body care products as they can damage stones over time or cause verdigris (green coloration) on the metal.
- Many of the stones used in Arcana Silver jewelry are porous and rather delicate (turquoise, opals, etc.). Avoid dropping or banging your precious stone jewelry as it can cause stones to fracture and crack. Remove jewelry before heavy or messy activities like sports, exercising, gardening, cooking, painting, etc.
- Delicate chains are not meant to be worn while sleeping or showering. Adorn your necklace after dressing, and remove before undressing.
- A microfiber cloth (included in every purchase) is great for removing mild oxidation. Simply rub your piece with the cloth to shine.
- For deep cleaning, mix a few drops of clear soap and warm water. Gently brush with a new, baby sized soft bristle brush, avoiding stones and settings. Never use chemicals or other types of cleaners. Do not use home remedies like vinegar, baking soda, witch hazel, tea tree oil, or lemon juice, which all have the potential to damage your piece.
We hope these tips help you feel more confident taking care of your precious jewelry. As always, feel free to reach out with any questions!